Christ Church

Hartlepool

A Grade II listed building, Christ Church is situated on Church Square in the centre of Hartlepool.

Its 100 foot tower is an impressive feat of architecture and engineering and was designed by Edward Buckton Lamb.

Christ Church was consecrated in 1854 by the Bishop of Durham and served the community of Hartlepool until 1973, when it fell into disrepair and was threatened with demolition.

Hartlepool Borough Council purchased the Church in 1994 and commissioned Peter Coverdale to begin extensive renovation works two years later:

  • Repair to and replacement of ashlar (hewn or squared stone)
  • Extensive repointing using lime mortar slaked on site
  • Building new boundary wall with Gothic roll topped copings
  • Installing opening doors within masonry on the East elevation
  • Retaining ashlar components, leaded light windows and original faces and patina and incorporating them into hydraulic doors to allow access for paintings and sculptures in its new role as an art gallery

The building reopened to the public in January 1996 as Hartlepool Art Gallery and Tourist Information Centre.

We are buillt on expertise

This project was achieved with our expertise in the following areas.

Other Projects

Coverdale Hughes are specialists in the repair and restoration of historic buildings, private homes of distinction and bespoke property developments.

Greta Bridge

Greta Bridge is a small hamlet and village on the banks of the River Greta, three miles South East of the market town of Barnard Castle in the Durham Dales.