St Nicholas’ Church

St Nicholas’ Church has served the community of Durham for over a thousand years and is located at Walkergate, one of the original gateways to Medieval Durham.

St Nics, as it known locally, was rebuilt in 1858 under the supervision of architect James Piggot Pritchet Jnr, when building materials from the original Belfry were reclaimed and repurposed into the communion table which remains in use today.

Peter Coverdale and his team of stonemasons completed a full restoration of St Nicholas’ Church in 1980, in partnership with then Vicar George Carey, who went on to serve as Archbishop of Canterbury from 1991 to 2002.

The restoration of St Nics included:

  • Repointing in lime mortar
  • Stone replacement and restoration
  • Removal of the Church bells, oak framework and clock for refurbishment
  • Replacing new oak framework to support recast bells
  • Restoring the spire weather cock including regilding in gold leaf

Peter has carried out several other projects on Durham’s historic peninsula and surrounds, including works at nearby Durham Town Hall in the city’s marketplace.

Restoration works have also been carried out at St Oswald’s Church, St Giles Church in Gilesgate and the former Church of St Mary Le Bow, which was converted into Durham Heritage Centre in 1972.

HPIM1358HPIM1756

We are buillt on expertise

This project was achieved with our expertise in the following areas.

Other Projects

Coverdale Hughes are specialists in the repair and restoration of historic buildings, private homes of distinction and bespoke property developments.

Greta Bridge

Greta Bridge is a small hamlet and village on the banks of the River Greta, three miles South East of the market town of Barnard Castle in the Durham Dales.